Kenai Central High School volleyball player Emma Beck was voted our Alaska Athlete of the Week after racking up 23 kills in a four-set victory over Valdez in the Class 3A state tournament.
The 6-foot senior southpaw recorded 24 kills in the three-set sweep of Nikiski in the semifinals and was the driving force behind the Kardinals’ second straight state championship and a 22-1 record.
Kenai Central’s volleyball team lost only two matches over Beck’s four years with the program.
Also receiving votes:
- Ava Earl, Northwestern runner (South HS) finished 8th at the NCAA D! Midwest Regions XC Championships and qualified for Nationals
- Molly Matson, Aurora University hockey player (Wasilla HS) scored her first college goal and racked up two goals and three assists in sweep
- Angelline Nageak, Adams State basketball player (Dimond HS) scored career-high 27 points to fuel win over Midwestern State
- Bishop Tosi, UAA basketball player bagged double-double with 24 points and 14 rebounds to lead the Seawolves to a 77-72 win over Chaminade
- Wasilla HS Volleyball Team, The Warriors won their first volleyball state championship in 22 years with a total team effort.
The Alaska Athlete of the Week is selected by a panel each Monday.
Have a candidate in mind? Email us your nomination: firstname.lastname@example.org.